YOUR LIBRARY ACCOUNT
Getting a Card
- All you need is photo identification and documentation showing your current Shelby County address. If you are over 18 and work in Shelby County but don’t live here, you can still get a card by showing proof of employment within Shelby County or paying an out-of-county fee of $30. Parents or guardians must sign for children under 18. Temporary cards are available for college students and individuals on an extended business trip.
Updating Your Account Information and Preferences
- You may now update your contact information for your library account online as well as specify your preference for library notifications.
Using Your Card
- One card is good at all Shelby County Public Libraries (Hoover Public Library isn’t part of the Shelby County System). Your card is good for 3 years. With your card you can use the library computers, check out items, reserve items, maintain a reading list, and sign up for new item notifications. Your card is your own personal card meaning your family members or friends may not use your card due to the fact that you will be held responsible for any lost or damaged items checked out on your card.
- If your card has been damaged beyond use or stolen you may get a new card free of charge. If your card is stolen let us know as quickly as you can so that we may block someone else from using it and so that you may get a new card. If your card is damaged bring it to your local library and give it to a librarian so that they may get you a new one. If you have simply lost your card it will be a $3 replacement charge.
- A new card will not be issued to you if you have unresolved fines or items on your previous card. In any case you will be asked to show photo ID and proof of residence.
Ask your local librarian about borrowing something from another library or simply fill out our online request form.
Please be as specific as you can and include author, series, and/or edition information and specify if you require or prefer certain formats:
- Cassette or CD
- Large Print
- Paperback Only
- Video or DVD
If you are requesting an article or short story give as much information as you have.
Please note that though library staff will make every effort to fill your request, we cannot guarantee the retrieval of an item nor its delivery date as the request is dependent upon the availability of the item, the owning libraries’ response, and the speed of the United States Postal Service.
Your request will not be placed if:
- You do not have a valid Shelby County Library Card
- You have overdue items or owe over $3 on your library card
- The item is available inside the Shelby County Library System
We will not borrow titles published within the last 6 months.
This service is provided to you free of charge through the Harrison Library. However, due to staff effort and the cost of postage should you request a title and fail to pick it up within your specified library’s hold period you will be charged a $2 per item processing fee. Each library has different lengths of time for which they hold items and different hold notification procedures. So, please be aware of your library’s hold periods and that your contact information is current before you place a request.
Alabama Virtual Library
The Alabama Virtual Library provides all students, teachers, and citizens of the State of Alabama with online access to essential library and information resources. It is primarily a group of online databases that have magazine, journal, and newspaper articles for research. Through the AVL, an equitable core of information sources is available to every student and citizen in Alabama, raising the level of excellence in schools and communities across the state.
If you enjoy the benefits that AVL brings to your school, college, library or home, please take a few minutes to thank your local legislators for providing this resource for the State of Alabama.
For specific databases through the AVL click on the following links:
ESBCO provides the following databases:
- Auto Repair Reference Center
- Business Searching Interface
- Coin Career Library
- History Reference Center
- Kids Search
- Legal Information Reference Center
- NoveList K-8 Plus
- NoveList Plus
- Points of View
- Small Business Reference Center
- Small Engine Repair Reference Center
- Student Research Center
Learning Express Library
Whatever your goal, LearningExpress Library’s resources will help you succeed. Each of our Learning Centers offers the practice tests, exercises, skill-building courses, eBooks, and information you need to achieve the results you want-at school, at work, or in life. Looking to land a job? You’ll find an entire Learning Center dedicated to helping you get the one that’s right for you.
Tuition Funding Sources (TFS)
A service to help students find scholarships and other forms of financial aid to help pay for a college education. The TFS also provides college admissions information, a career personality test, and detailed career information. Find your Tuition Funding Sources
Full List of Databases
Found on the Featured Resources Page