- Patrons must use their own library card to check out materials.
- All books may be checked out for 14 days and may be renewed three times if no one else has reserved the book. The overdue fine is .10 per day. Popular books are likely to have multiple reserves on them and will most likely not renew.
- Magazines, music CD’s, books on CD and books with CDs may be checked out for 14 days and can be renewed Three times. The overdue fine for these items is $.10 per day.
- Adults (18 years old+) may checkout no more than 20 DVD and Blu-ray titles for 7 days, per card (limit of 4 New Adult movies & 1 New Juvenile movie). No more than 5 video games per adult card. DVD, Blu-ray and all video game titles may be renewed one time for 7 days as long as there is no hold request for the item. The overdue fine is $1.00 per day for each late DVD/Blu-ray/video game. DVDs, Blu-rays, and video games may be returned after hours in our outside media drop boxes. If returned in the drop after hours on date due, late fees will not be incurred.
- Parents/guardians are responsible for the selection of appropriate items for their children. Parents/guardians are also responsible for any item checked out by a child under the age of 18.
- Parents should be aware that the library is concerned for the safety of children that visit the library.
- Children under the age of 11 must be accompanied by someone 16 years or older while in the library.
- Parents/guardians/caregivers of children under the age of 6 must always be on the same floor of the library as the child.
- Reserved items and interlibrary loan items will be held on the first floor for patron pickup.
- Books, Audio Books, and DVDs checked out from a Shelby County Library may be returned to any library in Shelby County: (Alabaster, Calera, Chelsea, Columbiana, Harrison Regional, Harpersville, Helena, Montevallo, Mount Laurel, North Shelby, Vincent, Westover, and Wilsonville). Any other items may need to be returned to the library where you checked them out. Check with the owning library for their rules and restrictions.
- There is a $5 fee for each Shelby County Library item that is returned to an out of county library, e.g. Hoover.
- No tobacco products, e-cigarettes, allowed in the library. Patrons may have bottled drinks with a cap or in a cup with a lid. No canned drinks. No drinks are allowed at the computers. Eating in the library is limited to snacks that do not cause a mess. Please, no meals/fast food.
- Inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated in the library, including but not limited to, sleeping, shouting or disruptive conversation, soliciting, and vulgar language. Please be courteous of others while using the library.
- Cell phone use that disturbs other patrons is not permitted inside the library building.
- The library is not responsible for any damage to personal equipment caused by library items.
- The library follows ADA guidelines regarding service animals. No other animals will be allowed in the library.
A copy of the rules is given to everyone who applies for a library card. When you sign the application you agree to abide by these rules.